Replacement windows in Moreno Valley, CA, are an excellent investment; they can help increase the value of your home and help save you money each month on your heating and cooling costs. But like everything else, they need regular maintenance and care to function properly. If you’re finding your windows or sticking, this can cause a lot of frustration, so we have created this article with some helpful tips that can help alleviate some of these issues.
Keeping them Clean
One of the best ways to create durability and longevity in your windows is to ensure they are cleaned regularly. This maintenance can help reduce the amount of debris and build-up that gathers on them and keep the tracks clean so they can function correctly. A few tips for keeping the tracks in excellent condition are:
- Make sure that the window is open as far as possible so you can get to the area where the sash slides
- Be sure to wipe the frame and tracks with a dry cloth so you can loosen up any dirt and debris
- Vacuum out the tracks from the inside using the brush attachment
- Use the manufacturer-recommended cleaning solution along with a soft cloth
- Be sure to rinse the cloth with clean water and re-wipe it, then allow it to fully dry
A few considerations are to avoid using sharp objects or razor blades to clean the tracks because this can cause damage to the material. You also want to avoid abrasive cleaners, like bleach, because this can also cause damage.
Tips for Unsticking the Windows
- When it comes to unsticking the windows, you want to get silicone-based lubrication, which can be purchased at almost any home improvement store.
- Apply the lubrication to a dry cloth and ensure you wipe along the outside and inside of every window area, including the weather stripping, jam liner, and tracks.
- Be sure to open and close the window multiple times to ensure that the lubrication gets distributed thoroughly, and feel free to add extra lubricant if the window is still sticking.
- If the window has multiple sashes, make sure that you clean each section and all of those tracks as well.
You want to avoid using WD40 because this product can become gummier in the tracks and create a larger problem. You also want to avoid spraying the lubricant onto the window because this can make a much larger mess that may be more difficult to clean and, in some cases, can leave a permanent spot.
Another reason why it is sticking is because the window may not be sitting square in the frame any longer, and this could mean it’s time for a replacement.
Your Top Choice for High-Quality Services and Installations
As you can see, unsticking your replacement windows in Moreno Valley, CA, can be made easier with these few simple steps, and if you need a professional at your side, we are here for you. We are a locally owned company with over 10,000 successful installations, so contact us today.