California’s Energy Goals
California is the nation’s leader in establishing policy and regulations for sustainable energy use, and demonstrating how a commitment to clean energy is a fuel for the state’s economy. In 2012, California-based clean-energy startups brought in nearly $9 billion in investments over the previous three years.
California’s clean energy leadership is grounded in specific state goals that mostly culminate in the year 2020, including:
- All new homes to be zero net energy
- Existing homes to reduce energy use by 40%
- Add 12 gigawatts of local renewable energy
- Reduce CO2 emissions by 4 tons per person
- Put 1 million zero emission vehicles on our roads